Concrete Admixture and Waterproofing Products for Dykes and Dams
- Dykes concrete constructions are built in order to canalize one of our main raw materials: the water. Water consumption is present on many sectors. Its use can be for industry purpose, human consumption, power production and irrigation for instance.
- The prevention of water waste starts by “leading”, canalizing correctly the water during its trip from source (lake, reservoirs) to its intended destination.
2. Structural Criteria
- This structure shall be properly designed considering hydraulic flow factors and shall be watertight.
- Without a proper and complete watertight system, water could escape through the expansion joint and penetration of water will reach the reinforcement and corrosion will occur thus impairing the quality and design integrity of the structure.
3. Concrete Production
- Objectives: Produce watertight and durable concrete
- Targets: Maximization of concrete density.
- Actions: Adherence to good construction practices.
- Products: All types of concrete admixtures and additives
4. Formwork release agent
- Formwork to be constructed rigid and strong, joints to be sufficiently tight to prevent the leakage of water or mortar of the fresh concrete during placement.
- Formwork shall impact a smooth finish to the resulting concrete surface, this is best achieved by using form releasing agent.
- The guide to formwork in accordance with ACI – 347 shall be adhered to.
- Products :Formwork release agents
5. Concrete Curing
- For watertight concrete and other concrete structures, proper curing is essential. In order to maintain a satisfactory moisture content and temperature in concrete during its early stages so that desired properties may develop. The strength and durability of concrete will be fully developed only if it is cured.
- The potentially harmful effects of evaporation shall be prevented either by applying water or preventing excessive evaporation by the use of liquid forming curing compound.
- Failure to prevent such excessive evaporation frequent causes plastic shrinkage and loss of strength in the material near the concrete surface.
- Products: Concrete Curing Compound
6. Water-tightness of Joints
- Designed and constructed to be essentially watertight.
- To achieve water-tightness use water-stops.
- Construction and expansion joints must be protected from the migration of water.
- When movement is expected use ribbed profiles with center bulb. The ribs increase the effective mechanical seal area of the water-stop, while the bulbs accommodate movement.
- Products: PVC waterstops (waterbar) for construction and expansion joints or swelling profile for construction joints.
7. Joint Sealant
- Connection joint: each expansion joint designed will show a gap between each block.
- Products: This shall be a bituminous mastic or flexible joint sealants.